Luxury walking holidays in Australia are growing in popularity. We’ve compiled a list of the best walks in Australia including many of our fellow members at Great Walks of Australia, plus some lesser known luxury walks and tours. Whether you prefer day walks paired with luxury lodge style accommodation, or multi-day journeys with professional guides and in-park accommodation, there’s something for everyone in this list of Australia’s best walks.
Best Mountain Walks in Australia
- Cradle Mountain Huts Walk – a trail blazer in the luxury walks space in Australia, the Cradle Mountain Huts Walk is a mountainous hike through world heritage listed national park with private accommodation available on this 6 day journey. Similar to the Ultimate Hikes in New Zealand this luxury walk in the Tassie wilderness includes hut to hut walking with local food and wine to enjoy each night and a comfortable bed.
- Pumphouse Point – this may an odd choice for a best walks in Australia list, but this luxury base is perfect for mountain adventures if you prefer shorter day walks and staying in one place. Pumphouse Point is ideally located on Lake St Claire in the World Heritage wilderness area so you can admire the views before setting off at leisure on some of the best day walks in Tasmania. At night enjoy local food and wine in a communal dining area and discuss the best trails with guests.
- Spicers Scenic Rim Walk – for something a little different, the mountains of the scenic rim in Queensland combine mountainous scenery with ancient rainforests and bush vistas. Staying in glamping tents, guests enjoy food and wine by the fire at night, and are woken by birdsong each morning.
Best Coastal Walks in Australia
- Bay of Fires Lodge Walk – This Great Walk of Australia is based on Tasmania’s East Coast and includes 4 days of coastal walking combined with beach camp and lodge accommodation. Knowledgeable local guides lead the walk and local food and wine is served each evening.
- Cape to Cape Walk – Okay we may have a vested interest here, but the Cape to Cape truly is Australia’s best long distance coastal hike so we think it only fitting that our award-winning luxury walk be included here. Walkers take in the best of the Cape to Cape Track in Western Australia over 4 days, and enjoy local food and wine and ultra-luxe pool villa accommodation overlooking the Indian Ocean. Enjoy the sunset over the ocean with Margaret River wine in hand and you’ll agree this is a luxury walk worthy of this list.
Best Foodie Walks in Australia
- Cape to Cape Walk – The Cape to Cape Track runs through the Margaret River wine region, and Walk into Luxury’s 4 day Cape to Cape tour includes Margaret River wines with dinners, local beer and wine in each guest’s villa, and an exclusive four course winery lunch with wine matches on day 4 – what better way to finish the ultimate hike through Australia’s best food and wine region!
- Kangaroo Island Wilderness Trail based at Southern Ocean Lodge – This new walking trail on South Australia’s Kangaroo Island takes in spectacular coastal scenery and wildlife such as local seal colonies. Luxury Southern Ocean Lodge assists guests to walk sections of the trail self-guided or with one of the lodge guides. On arrival back at the Lodge each day expect your favourite tipple to be waiting for you in the lounge, with an impressive dinner to follow. This is the ultimate in luxury hiking in Australia.
Best wild walks
- South Coast Walk – Walk into Luxury’s South Coast Walk includes wild southern ocean walking in Western Australia paired with South Coast food and wine and luxury accommodation. Enjoy the views of the wild ocean waves crashing against the cliffs and beaches along the southern section of the Bibbulmun Track. This 3 day Bibbulmun Walk crosses two national parks and includes diverse forest, coastal, bush and clifftop views.
- South West Wilderness Camp – The South West Track in Tasmania is one of the most remote awe-inspiring walks in Australia, and Par Avion’s camp allows you to experience it in comfort with its private huts dotted throughout the park. Trek by day and enjoy Tassie food and wine at night, a hot shower and good sleep before doing it all again the next day.
Best walks for Aboriginal culture
- Wukalina walk – this Tasmanian walk is unique in that it is owned and operated by local Aboriginal guides who share Tasmanian Aboriginal culture over 4 days. Staying in basic but comfortable camps and cottages, guests experience local bush foods and enjoy spectacular views of the Bay of Fires region.
Best outback walks in Australia
- Murray River Walk – For something unique, the Murray River Walk allows you to experience the South Australian bush land and iconic Murray river setting while journeying by houseboat between each section of this Great Walk. A quintessential Australian experience with great South Australian food and knowledgeable guides.
- Classic Larapinta Walk in Comfort – This outback icon takes in the best of the West MacDonnell Ranges in the Northern Territory accommodating walkers in its semi-permanent safari camps. This desert walk takes 6 days and is all about the landscape.
Best walks in Western Australia
- Karijini and Kalbari independently – Given our expertise on walking holidays in WA, we think a special note on WA’s best walks is appropriate. There are some incredible walks through gorges in Karijini National Park in the Pilbara region of WA, and our tip would be do them self-guided as day walks and base yourself at Karijini Eco Retreat for a touch of luxury. Do a similar thing in Kalbarri and hike Murchison Gorge and the coastal cliff walks of this area while staying in a rented luxury villa in town.
- Cape Range National Park with Sal Salis – hike from the gorges of Cape Range to Ningaloo Reef staying at luxury beachfront camp, Sal Salis. This is the perfect base for your day walks around Cape Range as its knowledgeable guides will escort you on your day walks and all food and wine is included. Time at Sal Salis is included on Walk into Luxury’s 10 day West Coast adventure.
- Bibbulmun Track – our South Coast Walk takes in the best sections of the Bibbulmun Track along WA’s south coast between Walpole, Denmark and Albany. This area is also known for its wines and quality local produce, so 3 days on the South Coast Walk is a great way to experience the best of the Great Southern Region.
- Cape to Cape Track – as mentioned above, our 4 day Margaret River Cape to Cape Walk is the best small group walk option and we have private Cape to Cape walking tours for those looking for a more exclusive experience with private guide and private driver.
If we can help plan your luxury walking tour in Western Australia, please get in touch or you can learn more at the links below –
>> View our award-winning Cape to Cape Walk
>> View all Walks in Western Australia